This traditional middle eastern dish is going to be your new ticket to weight loss success!
I can never have too much shawarma, but cooking it the old fashioned way can take ages to cook. Luckily we found another way!
The secret to delicious shawarma is in the marinade! So here’s a simple way to prep old school chicken shawarma without spending too much time and sacrificing any flavor at all!
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Macros: 450 Calories – 37g Protein – 2g Carbs – 28g Fat
- 2.5 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Lemons – Juiced
- 6 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (other than the chicken) until combined. Then transfer marinade to a large ziplock bag.
- Then transfer the chicken to the bag and seal the bag shut being sure to remove as much air as possible. Mix the chicken in with the marinade making sure to get full coverage of it all
- Put the ziplock bag in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours
- Once you’re ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Transfer the chicken from ziplock bag to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper – be sure to avoid overcrowding the sheet
- Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, then remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest
RECIPE NOTES –
- TO PREP: You can choose to grill or pan fry the chicken as well if you’d prefer it cooked that way!
- TO SERVE: This dish is super versatile – you can serve it with rice, on top of a salad, in a wrap, with quinoa, or use it on its own!
- TO STORE: This meal is good to be stored for 7-9 days.
If you try out this recipe tag me on Instagram and you just might get a shout out!